Apprenticeships are work based training programmes, designed by employers, which combine on and off the job training to provide talented, enthusiastic and ambitious staff able to grow into and fulfil future resourcing needs.
Whether start-up, large corporate or SME, employing Apprentices can have an enormous impact on your business, both bottom line and culturally, as well as diversifying the skills and age of your workforce.
There are many benefits to recruiting Apprentices and there has never been a better time to invest in your workforce through using this proven route to skill and upskill.
What is an apprenticeship?
It is a proper job combined with off the job training which leads to an industry recognised qualification. Basically, an Apprentice earns while they learn. You, as the employer, will mould and develop the Apprentice’s skills and knowledge to match your company’s need, grow your business and help to grow our economy.
How do apprenticeships work?
Apprentices are employed but spend about 1 day per week on off the job training which is delivered by a training provider. You will ensure your Apprentice is mentored at work, and on-going assessment by the training provider will guarantee that required industry standards are met.
What are the benefits to your business?
- Apprentices can meet the unique needs and build the skills capacity of your business
- You can mould an Apprentice to the standards of your organisation
- They allow you to recruit from a larger pool
- Apprentices can increase your productivity
- They can fill skills gaps
- Apprenticeships offer a clear, work based pathway from level 2 to higher level
- You can develop existing staff by offering them the opportunity to undertake an apprenticeship (conditions apply)
What level of Apprenticeships are offered in the North West?
The Apprenticeship NI programme offers Level 2, Level 3 & Level 4 & 5’s for Higher Level Apprenticeship providers.
Contact us for more information on what it means to employ an Apprentice in 2018. Our professional Skills Team from Derry City and Strabane District Council are on hand to answer your questions and give you more information with no strings attached. Get in touch now.